[R] digest readability/ thunderbird email client/ R-help

Michael Dewey med at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Apr 29 14:20:01 CEST 2007

At 21:00 28/04/2007, Martin Maechler wrote:
>Hi Sam,

I posted a request for information on how various mailers handled
this so I could summarise the results and put it on a helpful
webpage. Nobody was willing to sing the praises of his/her favourite
mailer so the only one I can suggest is the one I use myself, Eudora,
although that is now no longer under development.

My offer is still open if anyone has anything to contribute.

>     SamMc> System:Linux kernel 2.6.15 Ubuntu dapper
>

>     SamMc> Has anyone figured out how to make the R-help digest
>     SamMc> more easily readable in the Thunderbird mail client?
>     SamMc> I think the digest used to be more readable than is
>     SamMc> currently the case with all of the messages as
>     SamMc> attachments.
>
>     SamMc> I know the work around is to get individual messages
>     SamMc> rather than the digest, use another mail client, or
>     SamMc> just look at the archives on the web...
>
>     {and there are at least two alternatives to the standard
>      archives, notably Gmane.
>      BTW: Just found an URL that should list all R lists carried
>           by them :  http://dir.gmane.org/search.php?match=.r.
>

>It had been pointed out more than once that Thunderbird
>unfortunately is not adhering to the standard(s) of such
>digests-- too bad it still is not.
>
>One alternative is to get the digest as "plain" digest
>((which BTW another standard-complying digest format, that
>  e.g. emacs Rmail or VM can easily deal with))
>which will most probably just appear as one long e-mail in
>Thunderbird, with "table of contents" of all the subject lines,
>but nothing "clickable"
>
>Regards,
>Martin
>
>Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich