[R] Nonlinear optimization with constraints

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Wed Aug 1 11:31:52 CEST 2007

If you put in penalties for breaking constraints,
it is generally better to make the penalty depend
on the size of the violation.  This keeps the function
continuous (though usually not differentiable at the
boundary), and gives the optimizer a hint about
which way to go.

Patrick Burns
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696