[R] warning messages in grid or lattice give that I can't debug

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Thu Aug 2 15:53:59 CEST 2007

Uwe Ligges wrote:
> It is essential not to use a lattice version designed for R-2.4.1 with
> R-devel... And I don't see a reason, and in some cases, switching to
> another major version of R requires recompiling of packages anyway.

The warnings first appeared in 2.6.0dev when I recompiled my package
for 2.6.0dev.   The warnings are not detected by R CMD CHECK and still
appear in HH_2.1-3 (not yet on CRAN) after I repaired everything the
R CMD CHECK does find.

I backed up to the 2.4.1 compilation of HH along with the complete
2.6.0dev environment, including lattice and grid, to confirm that I had
not introduced new errors.  I believe the warnings come from a change made
to R, probably in lattice or grid, that are not detected by R CMD CHECK.

Uwe is correct that the older lattice and grid will not load with the newer
R.

Rich