[R] Mixture of Normals with Large Data

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Aug 8 00:49:33 CEST 2007

Why would anyone want to fit a mixture of normals with 110 million
observations?? Any questions about the distribution that you would care to
ask can be answered directly from the data. Of course, any test of normality
(or anything else) would be rejected.

More to the point, the data are certainly not a random sample of anything.
There will be all kinds of systematic nonrandom structure in them. This is
clearly a situation where the researcher needs to think more carefully about
the substantive questions of interest and how the data may shed light on
them, instead of arbitrarily and perhaps reflexively throwing some silly
statistical methodology at them.

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics