[R] Binary Search

Matthew Walker m.g.walker at massey.ac.nz
Wed Aug 8 05:13:03 CEST 2007

Hi!

R is an amazing piece of software and with so many libraries it can do
almost anything... but I was very surprised that a standard "binary
search" function seems not to exist.  I can find other much more
highly-complex search routines (optimize, uniroot, nlm) in the standard
no-extra-packages-loaded version of R, but not this simple alternative.
I searched and found an implementation inside the package "genetics",
but that requires the loading of an awful lot of other code to get to
this simple function.

Have I missed something?  Perhaps I just didn't find what is already in
there.  Can anyone point me to what I'm after?

If not, perhaps the developers might consider making it more readily
available?

Cheers,

Matthew