[R] Changing font in boxplots

G Iossa, School Biological Sciences G.Iossa at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Aug 8 15:04:06 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I am very new to R and this might be a simple question but I have looked
everywhere you suggest before writing to you.

I am trying to change font type from san-serif to a serif (Times New
Romans) on all labels and axis of my boxplot. I have used this function in
other plots before, e.g.:

plot(residuals~lnlifespan, data=mydata, pch=psymb, font=6, xlab="ln
reproductive lifespan", ylab="residuals ln mass", font.lab=6, cex=1.5,
cex.axis=1.5, cex.lab=1.5)

and found that font.lab or font.axis=6 gives Times font. However, when I
try for boxplot:

boxplot(mass ~ family, data=mydata, ylab="mass %", xlab="family",
font.axis=6,  font=6, par(las=1), cex.axis=1)

it does not work (R does not give any warning messages). I have also tried
family="Times" but without success. Any idea of why is not doing it and
what I can do to get Times font on my boxplot?
I run R on Windows.

Thanks a lot,
Graziella

Dr. Graziella Iossa