[R] small sample techniques

Moshe Olshansky m_olshansky at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 04:57:45 CEST 2007

As Thomas Lumley noted, there exist several versions
of t-test.
If you use t1 <- t.test(x,y) then no assumption is
made of x and y having equal variance and of the two
sample sizes being equal and then an approximate
t-test is used with an approximate number of degrees
of freedom (and this is what you got).
If you use t2 <- t.test(x,y,var.equal=TRUE) then equal
variance is assumed and you get 8 degrees of freedom.
If you use t3 <- t.test(x,y,paired=TRUE) then equal
sample sizes are assumed and the number of degrees of
freedom is 4 (5-1).