[R] GLMM: MEEM error due to dichotomous variables

Elva Robinson elva_robinson at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 7 15:31:30 CEST 2007

I am trying to run a GLMM on some binomial data. My fixed factors include 2
dichotomous variables, day, and distance. When I run the model:

modelA<-glmmPQL(Leaving~Trial*Day*Dist,random=~1|Indiv,family="binomial")

I get the error:

iteration 1
Error in MEEM(object, conLin, control$niterEM) :
        Singularity in backsolve at level 0, block 1

>From looking at previous help topics,(
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/02a/4473.html)
I gather this is because of the dichotomous predictor variables - what
approach should I take to avoid this problem?

Thanks, Elva.