[R] small sample techniques

Moshe Olshansky m_olshansky at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 04:03:03 CEST 2007

Hi Murli,

First of all, regarding prop.test, you made a typo:
you should have used prop.test(c(69,90),c(300,300))
which gives you the squared value of 3.4228, and it's
square root is 1.85 which is not too far from 1.94.

I would use Fisher Exact Test (fisher.test).  Two
sided test has a p-value of 0.06411 so you do not
reject H0, One sided test (i.e. H1 is that the first
probability of success is smaller than the second) has
a p-value of 0.03206, so you reject H0 (with 95%
confidence level).
You get similar results with two-sided and one-sided
t-test.

Moshe.

P.S. if you use paired t-test you get nonsense since
it uses pairwise differences, and in your case only 21
of 300 differences are non-zero!