[R] [Fwd: Re: How to apply functions over rows of multiple matrices]

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 14:16:05 CEST 2007

1. matrices are stored columnwise so R is better at column-wise operations
than row-wise.

2. Here is one way to do it (although I am not sure its better than the
index approach):

   row.apply <- function(f, a, b)
      t(mapply(f, as.data.frame(t(a)), as.data.frame(t(b))))

3. The code for the example in this post could be simplified to:

    first.1 <- apply(cbind(goldstandard, 1), 1, which.max)
    ifelse(col(newtest) > first.1, NA, newtest)

4. given that both examples did not inherently need row by row operations
   I wonder if that is the wrong generalization in the first place?