[R] smoothing function for proportions

roger koenker rkoenker at uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 10 17:51:42 CEST 2007

It is not entirely clear what you are using for y values in
smooth.spline,
but it would appear that it is just the point estimates.  I would
suggest
using instead -- at each x value -- a few equally spaced quantiles of
the estimated proportions.  Implicitly, smooth.spline expects to be
fitting
a mean curve to data that has constant variance, so you might also
consider reweighting to approximate this, as well.

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820