[R] Cleaning up the memory

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 10 19:28:07 CEST 2007

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Monica Pisica wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have 4 huge tables on which i want to do a PCA analysis and a kmean
> clustering. If i run each table individually i have no problems, but if
> i want to run it in a for loop i exceed the memory alocation after the
> second table, even if i save the results as a csv table and i clean up
> all the big objects with rm command. To me it seems that even if i don't
> have the objects anymore, the memory these objects used to occupy is not
> cleared. Is there any way to clear up the memory as well? I don't want
> to close R and start it up again. Also i am running R under Windows.

See ?gc, which does the clearing.

However, unless you study the memory allocation in detail (which you
cannot do from R code), you don't actually know that this is the problem.
More likely is that you have fragmentation of your 32-bit address space:
see ?"Memory-limits".

Without any idea what memory you have and what 'huge' means, we can only
make wild guesses.  It might be worth raising the memory limit (the
--max-mem-size flag).