[R] Cleaning up the memory

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 10 20:42:30 CEST 2007

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Monica Pisica wrote:

> Thanks! I will look into ...
>
> I have 4 GB RAM, and i was monitoring the memory with Windows task
> manager so i was looking how R "gets" more and more memory allocation
> from less than 100Mb to .... 1500Mb .....

Then you are almost certainly fragmenting the address space.

We still don't know your OS and whether you have enabled the /3GB switch
(if relevant to that version of Windows).   Most versions of Windows have
a 2Gb address space, but some can be as high as 4Gb (Vista 64 which I use
is one: the details are in the rw-FAQ for the latest versions of R, e.g.
R-patched and R-devel).  That factor of 2 can make a big difference.

> My initial tables are between 30 to 80 Mb and the resulting tables that
> incorporate the initial tables plus PCA and kmeans results are inbetween
> 50 to 200MB or thereabouts!
>
> And yes, i don't really care about memory allocation in detail - what i
> want is to free that memory after every cycle ;-)
>
> Although, after i didn't do anything in R and it was idle for more than
> 30 min. the memory allocation according to Task manager dropped to 15 Mb
> ..... which is good - but i cannot wait inbetween cycles half an hour
> though .....

Calling gc() will reduce the memory allocation, but that is not the point.
You can have 15Mb allocated and still not a 50Mb hole in the address
space (although that would be extremely unlucky, not having several 200Mb
holes is quite likely).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk