[R] R-excel

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Aug 11 07:58:18 CEST 2007

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Peter Wickham wrote:

> I am running R 2.5.1 using Mac OSX 10.4.10. "xlsReadWrite" is a Windows
> binary. Instead, install and load packages: (1) "gtools":(2) "gdata". These
> are both Windows and Mac binaries. "gdata" depends on "gtools", so be sure
> to load "gtools" first or set the installation depends parameters. Then you

The R default *is* to install dependencies in R >= 2.5.0.

> can use "read.xls".  Thus, in Mac: "data<-read.xls("/Users/your
> name/Documents/data.xls",sheet=1). For Windows, substitute the appropriate
> filepath and file name in the first argument of "read.xls": e.g.,
> "data<-read.xls("A:/filename.xls",sheet-1)". Thanks to correspondents for

You mean sheet=1 ....

There are other platforms, and the usage of gdata::read.xls is common to
all platforms.

> their advice; but I hope that this may alleviate some of the frustration
> (referred to in the R Import/Export Manual) associated with dealing with

That is described in the 'R Data Import/Export Manual' (sic).

It *increases* the frustration of those who WTFM to see it and its
contents misdescribed in this way.  Further, people who search the list
archives are liable to make use of buggy posts like this one, so it seems
necessary to put the corrections and frustration on the record.

Please just point people to the appropriate manual