[R] Artifacts in pdf() of image() (w/o comments)

Ken Knoblauch knoblauch at lyon.inserm.fr
Tue Aug 14 00:46:31 CEST 2007

Hi Duncan, Hi Michael,

Duncan Murdoch <murdoch <at> stats.uwo.ca> writes:

> On 8/13/2007 1:33 PM, Michael Kubovy wrote:
>
>   - You saw ugly artifacts in a graph you produced.  That's a bug.  The
> question is, what caused it?
>   - You rightly asked on R-help.  It might have been a bug in the way
> you were doing things, or a bug in R, or a bug in the way you were
> viewing the image.
>   - It was demonstrated that this only appears in Preview, not in
> Acrobat Reader, so it's probably a bug there.
>
> It's only at the last point that I object to what you did:  your
> question quoted below makes it look as though you think Apple's time is
> more valuable than ours.  I remind you that you paid for Preview, and
> you didn't pay for R.  Apple has a stronger obligation to help you than
> any of us do.  My experience with them (and with most other commercial
> software vendors) is that you'll get much worse help from them than from
> us --- but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.  Perhaps when anyone
> searching for "Mac OSX Preview" on Google shows up a page full of
> unhandled bug reports they'll actually do something.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

> ... [deletions] ...

I'm entering this late.  I just wanted to point out that there are earlier
threads on this issue on the R-Sig-Mac list that might be useful
to follow through.

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2005-March/001650.html

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2006-February/002678.html

Simon Urbanek suggested one patch on the later thread.  My solution,
at the time, was to capture the image from the acrobat rendition.

best,

ken

--
Ken Knoblauch