[R] Artifacts in pdf() of image() (w/o comments)

Ken Knoblauch knoblauch at lyon.inserm.fr
Tue Aug 14 00:46:31 CEST 2007

Hi Duncan, Hi Michael,

Duncan Murdoch <murdoch <at> stats.uwo.ca> writes:

> On 8/13/2007 1:33 PM, Michael Kubovy wrote:
>   - You saw ugly artifacts in a graph you produced.  That's a bug.  The
> question is, what caused it?
>   - You rightly asked on R-help.  It might have been a bug in the way
> you were doing things, or a bug in R, or a bug in the way you were
> viewing the image.
>   - It was demonstrated that this only appears in Preview, not in
> Acrobat Reader, so it's probably a bug there.
> It's only at the last point that I object to what you did:  your
> question quoted below makes it look as though you think Apple's time is
> more valuable than ours.  I remind you that you paid for Preview, and
> you didn't pay for R.  Apple has a stronger obligation to help you than
> any of us do.  My experience with them (and with most other commercial
> software vendors) is that you'll get much worse help from them than from
> us --- but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.  Perhaps when anyone
> searching for "Mac OSX Preview" on Google shows up a page full of
> unhandled bug reports they'll actually do something.
> Duncan Murdoch

> ... [deletions] ...

I'm entering this late.  I just wanted to point out that there are earlier
threads on this issue on the R-Sig-Mac list that might be useful
to follow through.

Simon Urbanek suggested one patch on the later thread.  My solution,
at the time, was to capture the image from the acrobat rendition.

Ken Knoblauch
Inserm U846
Institut Cellule Souche et Cerveau
Département Neurosciences Intégratives