[R] Legend on graph

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue Aug 14 00:59:49 CEST 2007

You can get the legend outside the plot region by

1. First changing the clipping region via par(xpd = TRUE) ; (or xpd=NA). see
?par

2. Specifying x and y coodinates for legend placement outside the limits of
the plot region.

This allows you to include a legend without adding a bunch of useless
whitespace to the plot region; or to add a grid to the plot without
interfering with the legend.

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics