[R] Covariance of data with missing values.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Aug 15 23:16:32 CEST 2007

I have a data matrix X (n x k, say) each row of which constitutes an
observation of
a k-dimensional random variable which I am willing, if not happy, to
assume to be
Gaussian, with mean ``mu'' and covariance matrix ``Sigma''.  Distinct
rows of X may
be assumed to correspond to independent realizations of this random
variable.

Most rows of X (all but 240 out of 6000+ rows) contain one or more
missing values.
If I am willing to assume that missing entries are missing completely
at random (MCAR)
then I can estimate the covariance matrix Sigma via maximum
likelihood, by
employing the EM algorithm.  Or so I believe.

Has this procedure been implemented in R in an accessible form?  I've
had a bit of a
scrounge through the searching facilities, and have gone through the
FAQ, and have
found nothing that I could discern to be directly relevant.

Thanks for any pointers that anyone may be able to give.

			cheers,

				Rolf Turner