[R] Urgent Help needed

AbouEl-Makarim Aboueissa aaboueissa at usm.maine.edu
Thu Aug 16 18:33:53 CEST 2007

Dear All:

Urgent help is needed.

I have a data set in matrix format  of three columns: X, Y and index of four groups (1,2,3,4). What I need to do is the following;

1- How I can subtract the sample mean of each group indexed 1,2,3,4 from the
     corresponding data values of this group and create new columns say X-sample mean
      and Y-sample mean? I tried to use the "tapply" but I have some difficulties to restore the new data

2- How I can use the “tapply” if possible or any other R-function to find the correlation
     coefficient between the X and Y columns for each group indexed 1,2,3,4.? Could not use the "tapply".

I attached part of the data as txt file.

Thank you so much for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Abou

Data:
====