[R] Any parser generator / code assistance for R?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Aug 18 20:09:10 CEST 2007

    A-> Hi,
    A-> Is there any parser generator like www.antlr.org?  Moreover, how does simple
    A-> code assistance work currently in R? By 'simple code assistance' I meant
    A-> things like:

    A-> Object$M<TAB> --> Object$Method

If you really meant a list with components
or an S4 object with slots,
such code completion works at least since R 2.5.1, because of
the recent 'rcompletion' extensions of Deepayan Sarkar,
and of course in ESS (Emacs Speaks Statistics),
and I think in several other GUI/Environments as well.

But if you are thinking OOP as in Java or C++ (and I think you
*are* thinking along that way), then rather learn
that S (and hence R) do OOP in a function-centric rather than class-centric
way; something which seems to be quite hard to grasp for many
who have been brought up in Java-like schools....
If you are still interested in R, look out for documents with
"S4" (or "formal methods and classes") and "R" in the title  ;-)

Regards,
Martin