[R] Suspected memory leak with R v.2.5.x and large matrices with dimnames set

Peter Waltman waltman at cs.nyu.edu
Sat Aug 18 23:13:46 CEST 2007

Hi Seth -

Thanks for the follow up.  I'll definitely check out the devel version
at some point since while I've come up with a workaround, this is
causing problems for me as it uses up so much memory on some systems
that R starts throwing malloc errors and has to be killed from the
command line.  The machine I'm thinking of in particular is a MacOS
machine with 8 gigs of memory.

Also, having the row and column names set to alphanumeric names causes
the processing to slow down significantly - as much as by a power of 10
(or more).

As for you speculation that the memory released by R may not be
recognized as being free'd by the OS, as a further test, I re-ran my
code snippet three consecutive times w/in the same R interpreter
window.  In theory, if there were a memory leak, after the first run
(resulting in a memory stamp of 2 gig), the subsequent runs would
further increase R's memory stamp, i.e. up to 4 after the second, and 6
for the 3rd.

This didn't happen, and R's stamp remained at 2 gig, so I can only
assume that you're correct and I was wrong about a leak.

Still, it's quite the memory hog when using dimnames, so I'll have to
avoid those for now and will try the devel version you mentioned.

Thanks and have a good weekend,

Peter