[R] SEM for categorical data

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Aug 20 04:31:56 CEST 2007

Dear Upasna,

I apologize for responding so late, but I was out of town when you posted
your query to r-help.

The sem() function in the sem package can handle dichotomous and ordered
categorical observed variables via tetrachoric, polychoric, biserial, and
polyserial correlations computed by the polycor package. See in particular
the hetcor() function in that package, which can compute "heterogeneous"
correlation matrices. Standard errors for parameter estimates in the SEM can
then be computed by bootstrapping; see ?boot.sem in the sem package for an
example with a confirmatory factor-analysis model for ordinal observed
variables.

I hope that this helps,
 John