[R] R on a flash drive

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Mon Aug 20 16:27:39 CEST 2007

--- Erin Hodgess <hodgess at gator.dt.uh.edu> wrote:

> Dear R People:
>
> Has anyone run R from a flash drive, please?
>
> If so, how did it work, please?

Yes I run R, occasionally, on a USB with no problem on
WindowsXP. It works well, albeit a bit more slowly
than from the hard drive which is as you would expect.

The last time I upgraded the USB (to 2.5.0 ?) I simply
downloaded R and installed it on the USB drive rather
than the C: drive and then installed all my usual
optional packages using the normal Rgui interface.

I usually have R, Tinn-R and portable versions of
OpenOoffice.org, and Firefox installed on the USB.