[R] Synchronzing workspaces

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Aug 22 15:39:30 CEST 2007

On 8/22/2007 9:20 AM, Eric Turkheimer wrote:
> How do people go about synchronizing multiple workspaces on different
> workstations?  I tend to wind up with projects spread around the various
> machines I work on.  I find that placing the directories on a server and
> reading them remotely tends to slow things down.

I use Subversion.  It works best with text, but can handle binary files too.

So the idea would be to write scripts that either generate or load the
data I want to work on, and source those at the beginning of a session.
  I always try to start with a clean workspace.

Separate the code that does complex calculations into functions (and
consider organizing it into a package, if it's big enough); put those
functions in separate files from the scripts that run them on particular
examples.  This way you can run source("fns.R") to update the function
definitions without re-doing all the simulations in your project.

Duncan Murdoch