[R] gWidgets (tcltk): problem extracting values from widgets in glayout grid

englund.evan at epamail.epa.gov englund.evan at epamail.epa.gov
Thu Aug 23 01:00:25 CEST 2007

Hello,

I haven't been able to find an example for the second case below -- or
perhaps I didn't recognize it when I saw it.
Is there a value for x such that svalue(x) will return "bbb", either by
itself or as part of an array? Or do I need to do something else
entirely?
(R2.5.1; Windows XP)

> ####  gWidgets test
> options("guiToolkit"="tcltk")
> require(gWidgets)
[1] TRUE

> ###### Case 1: this works ########
> wtesta = gwindow("wtesta",visible=TRUE)
> wtesta1 = gedit("aaa",container=wtesta)
> print(svalue(wtesta1))
[1] "aaa"

> ### Case 2: this makes an identical window & widget, with "b"
replacing "a"
> ### but does't return the value
> wtesta = gwindow("wtestb",visible=TRUE)
> wtestb = glayout(visible=TRUE,container=wtesta)
> wtestb[1,1]=gedit("bbb",container=wtestb)
> print(svalue(wtestb[1,1]))
Error in function (classes, fdef, mtable)  :
        unable to find an inherited method for function ".leftBracket",
for signature "gLayouttcltk", "guiWidgetsToolkittcltk"
Error in svalue(wtestb[1, 1]) : error in evaluating the argument 'obj'
in selecting a method for function 'svalue'
> print(svalue(wtestb))
Error in function (classes, fdef, mtable)  :
        unable to find an inherited method for function ".svalue", for
signature "gLayouttcltk", "NULL", "NULL", "guiWidgetsToolkittcltk"

Evan Englund
U.S. EPA
702-798-2248