[R] Estimate Intercept in ARIMA model

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 23 11:46:25 CEST 2007

This is described on the help page!

include.mean: Should the ARIMA model include a mean term? The default
           is 'TRUE' for undifferenced series, 'FALSE' for differenced
           ones (where a mean would not affect the fit nor predictions).

      Further, if 'include.mean' is true, this formula applies to X-m
      rather than X.  For ARIMA models with differencing, the
      differenced series follows a zero-mean ARMA model.

You can add an intercept to your own xreg: you don't need a package to
help you, but you do need to study the documentation.

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, doublelin15 wrote:

> Hi, All,
>   This is my program
>
> ts1.sim <- arima.sim(list(order = c(1,1,0), ar = c(0.7)), n = 200)
> ts2.sim <- arima.sim(list(order = c(1,1,0), ar = c(0.5)), n = 200)
> tdata<-ts(c(ts1.sim[-1],ts2.sim[-1]))
> tre<-c(rep(0,200),rep(1,200))
> gender<-rbinom(400,1,.5)
> x<-matrix(0,2,400)
> x[1,]<-tre
> x[2,]<-gender
> fit <- arima(tdata, c(1, 1, 0), method = "CSS",xreg=t(x))

Use

arima(tdata, c(1, 1, 0), method = "CSS", xreg=cbind(intercept=1, t(x)))

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk