[R] extracting duplicated elements

dxc13 dxc13 at health.state.ny.us
Thu Aug 23 16:52:19 CEST 2007

Can anyone help me solve this problem...thanks!

Consider a data frame, namely v, as such:
   X1 X2 X3 X4 X5 X1 X2 X3 X4 X5
x1  1  2 -1 -1 -1  1  2 -1 -1 -1
y1  1  2 -1 -1 -1  1  2  3 -1 -1

What I would like to do is to create an array or data frame with only the
elements that appear in the data frame more than once and are >= 0.

I try this...
> v[v>=0]
[1] 1 1 2 2 1 1 2 2 3

which returns all >= 0 elements, but they are not in their respective rows
from the original data frame.  I have tried using the duplicated()
function and can't seem to get it to work correctly.

Essentially, the outcome I am trying to get is a df or array looking like:

step 1...achieve this out of original df
[1] 1 2 1 2
[2] 1 2 1 2 3

(the blank element in row 1, position 5 can be just be NA)

step 2...take the above and get this...only the duplicated elements
[1] 1 2
[2] 1 2