[R] changing text direction of mtext

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Aug 24 08:51:13 CEST 2007

squall44 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know if it's possible to change the text direction of mtext?
>
> I'd like to use 'mtext(side=2)' but the text should be 'left-to-right'.
>
> I couldn't find an argument for that in the help files.

It's just one help file you have to read: ?mtext. Please also read the
introductory R manuals (and maybe look into some good textbook on R).
Since we all do know now that you cannot read help pages, I read ?mtext
for you:

In section Arguments:
"... Further graphical parameters (see par), including family, las and
xpd. (This defaults to the figure region unless outer = TRUE, otherwise
the device region. It can only be increased.) "

In section Details:
"Parameter las will determine the orientation of the string(s). For
strings plotted perpendicular to the axis the default justification is
to place the end of the string nearest the axis on the specified line.
(Note that this differs from S, which uses srt if at is supplied and las
if it is not.)"

Please also note that you can look into the R-help archives before
posting questions that have been answered dozens of times already - as
the posting guide to this list asks you to do.

Uwe Ligges