[R] How can i inhibit this work "Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session "?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Aug 25 11:09:40 CEST 2007

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007, zhijie zhang wrote:

> Dear Rusers,
>  When i start R, there always the following work to do first, how should i
> cancel it?
> *--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---*
>  I don't know why it does so, maybe i have done something unintentionally.

You certainly have.  Try starting R with --vanilla and it should go away.
If so, see ?Startup and look at the various files it mentions.  Do you
have a .Rprofile?  Have you changed Rprofile.site ... ?

The message comes from contrib.url(): most likely you have a call to
update.packages() in a startup file.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk