[R] perception of graphical data

Henric Nilsson (Public) nilsson.henric at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 00:20:47 CEST 2007

Den 2007-08-25 00:42, hadley wickham skrev:
> Hi Richard,
>
>> I apologize that this is off-topic.  I am seeking information on
>> perception of graphical data, in an effort to improve the plots I
>> produce.  Would anyone point me to literature reviews in this area?  (Or
>> keywords to try on google?)  Is this located somewhere near cognitive
>> science, psychology, human factors research?
>
> Probably the best place to start on these general issues, are a couple
> of papers by Cleveland:
>
> @article{cleveland:1987,
>         Author = {Cleveland, William and McGill, Robert},
>         Journal = {Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series A
> (General)},
>         Number = {3},
>         Pages = {192-229},
>         Title = {Graphical Perception: The Visual Decoding of Quantitative
> Information on Graphical Displays of Data},
>         Volume = {150},
>         Year = {1987}}
>
> @article{cleveland:1984,
>         Author = {Cleveland, William S. and McGill, M. E.},
>         Journal = {Journal of the American Statistical Association},
>         Number = 387,
>         Pages = {531-554},
>         Title = {Graphical Perception: Theory, Experimentation and
> Application to the Development of Graphical Methods.},
>         Volume = 79,
>         Year = 1984}
>
> For colour in particular, I like Ross Ihaka's introduction to the subject:
>

> @inproceedings{ihaka:2003,
>         Author = {Ihaka, Ross},
>         Booktitle = {Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on
> Distributed Statistical Computing (DSC 2003)},
>         Title = {Colour for Presentation Graphics},
>         Year = {2003}}
>

> and also see colorbrewer.org

In addition, I've found the following one really useful

@TECHREPORT{Zeileis+Hornik:2006,
   author = {Achim Zeileis and Kurt Hornik},
   title = {Choosing Color Palettes for Statistical Graphics},
   institution = {Department of Statistics and Mathematics,
                  Wirtschaftsuniversit\"at Wien,
		 Research Report Series},
   year = {2006},
   type = {Report},