[R] Excel

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Aug 28 07:21:55 CEST 2007

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, Robert A LaBudde wrote:

> If you format the column as "Text", you won't have this problem. By
> leaving the cells as "General", you leave it up to Excel to guess at
> the correct interpretation.

Not true actually. I had converted the column to Text because I saw the
interpretation as a date in the .xls file. I saved the .csv file *after*
the column had been converted to Text. Looking at the .csv file in a text
editor, the entry is correct.

I have just rechecked this.

On reopening the .csv using Excel, the entry AUG2699 had been interpreted
as a date, and was showing as Aug-99. Most bizarre is that the NHI value
of AUG1838 has *not* been interpreted as a date.

David Scott