[R] retrieve p-value from a cox.obj

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Aug 29 18:40:50 CEST 2007

str() is your friend. It tells you about the structure of any R object, from
which you can usually glean what you need to know to get what you want. It
is often useful to use it on summary(object) rather than on the object, as
the summary method for an (S3) classed object often contains what you're
looking for.

Less generally, names() and as.list() can sometimes get you what you want
also.

Alternatively, check the summary.coxph() code (survival:::summary.coxph, as
it's hidden in the namespace). It is clear there how to get what you want,
either direct from the fitted object or from the summary.coxph object.

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics