[R] a new-bie question about obtaining certain value from the printout

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Wed Aug 29 23:22:49 CEST 2007

You need to save the output in order to do something with it (the
default if you don't save the output is to call the print method, so
what you are seeing is the results of calling print.htest on the return
value from t.test).

Save the output by doing something like:

> out <- t.test(c(1:5,7:11), y=c(1:10),
+ alternative = c("two.sided"), paired = TRUE)

Now the results are stored in "out" (or whatever better name you come up
with)

To access the p-value you can do:

> out$p.value

Or use that in another expression.

The details on what comes after the '$' can be found in this case from
the t.test help page, or in general using the str function:

> str(out)

Gives a wealth of information (sometimes too much) on the components of
the returned object.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.