[R] customizing the color and point shape for each line drawn using lattice's xyplot

Gen gingerlygen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 17:42:17 CEST 2007

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately it does not appear to matter if
the data is subsetted before the xyplot command or within it.  The problem
remains.

I was able to remove method 4 entirely from the key by using your suggestion
to subset the dataset “common,” and then creating a new variable to assign
labels for just this subset “common.without.Method4$method.not4.f”  The
resulting code was:

xyplot(MeanBxg ~ PercentVarExplained | bdg.f * bdx.f,
data=common.without.Method4, groups=method.not4.f, type="l",  auto.key=T)

This however leads to lack of continuity between plots, as when I exclude
methods 4 and 6 in my second plot, using the same approach, the color that
had corresponds to methods 7, 8 and 9 in plot one is automatically changed
in plot two.  The subsetting may work, so long as I can dictate line color
and symbol type in each plot.