[R] gsub warning message

Talbot Katz topkatz at msn.com
Fri Aug 31 17:43:11 CEST 2007

Hi.

I am using R 2.5.1 on a Windows XP machine.  Here is an example of a piece
of code I was running in older versions of R on the same machine.  I am
looking for underscores and replacing them with periods.  This result is
from R 2.4.1:

>gsub ( "\\_+","\.","AAA_I")
[1] "AAA.I"

Here is what I get in R 2.5.1:

>gsub ( "\\_+","\.","AAA_I")
[1] "AAA.I"
Warning messages:
1: '\.' is an unrecognized escape in a character string
2: unrecognized escape removed from "\."

I still get the same result, which is what I want, but now I get a warning
message.  Am I actually doing something wrong that the previous versions of
R didn't warn me about?  Or is this warning message unwarranted?  Is there a
fully approved method for getting the same functionality?  Thanks!

--  TMK  --
212-460-5430	home
917-656-5351	cell