[R] Additions to xyplot (lattice)? - legend, ticks, axis label size, text

Dave Hewitt dhewitt at vims.edu
Fri Aug 31 21:59:28 CEST 2007

At 12:47 PM 8/30/2007 -0700, deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com wrote:
>On 8/30/07, Dave Hewitt <dhewitt at vims.edu> wrote:
> > Thank you very much... simple and easy fixes.
> >
> > Three"final" queries:
> >
> > (1) I need to make a little more room on the left for the larger axis
> > label. I tried 'mex' in the list for ylab but that was ignored.
>
>It's possible, but shouldn't be necessary. Can you provide a
>reproducible example which shows why you need this?

I definitely can if needed, but... it's not that the axis label doesn't
fit, it's just that I'd like a little more white space. So it may not match
up with standard rules, but it's for a specific purpose. Please let me know
how to adjust it.

Also, might this interact with my choice of plot size prior to production,
with:

win.graph(width = 10, height = 7)

> > (2) Is it possible to place a tick at each year on the x-axis, but only
> > label every other year?
>
>Not in those terms, but you can explicitly specify labels as
>
>scales = list(x = list(at = c(1, 2, 3), labels = c("a", "", "c")))
>
>etc.

So no ticks without labels, as specified by the user? The above generates
only ticks with labels.

> > (3) Can the legend pieces be broken into two lines (one for loess and one
> > for points)?
>
>Again, not in those terms, but you can fake it using
>
>key = list(text = list(c("loess", "points")),
>            lines = list(lwd = 2.5, col = c("gray", "blue"),
>                         cex = 1.25, pch = 19,
>                          type = c("p", "l")))

Excellent. thanks.