[R] Need help on changing a table

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Dec 1 19:21:57 CET 2007

Note that read.table() reads a table and returns a _data frame_.  So it is
the _data frame_ that you want to change (a table is something else in R).
This is a simple application of aggregate(), e.g.

> aggregate(z[-1], list(Item=z$Item), sum)
   Item X3d_Plot XY_plot
1    1        1       2
2    2        2       1

where I got z from read.table("clipboard", header=TRUE).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk