[R] Rating R Helpers

Pablo G Goicoechea pgoikoetxea at neiker.net
Mon Dec 3 10:37:51 CET 2007

   I'm just a R user who joined the list searching solution for a problem.
   I do not think rating helpers is a good idea. For once, they do it freely;
   no  need  to harrash (?) anybody. On the other hand, it could have the
   opposite  effect;  people afraid to get a bad rating do not post their
   potentially valid answers.
   But more importantly, the list is full with examples of how to accomplish
   the same result with different approaches. Some might be more elegant than
   others, but for sure they show R potentialities. And I have seen several
   corrections/discussions among old timers themselves.
   Packages reviews are another issue. But if anybody is going through all that
   work, why not to make the appropriate corrections to the packages? They are
   GPL, aren't they?
   Best
   Pablo
   Mark Kimpel escribió:

I'll throw one more idea into the mix. I agree with Bill that a rating
system for respondents is probably not that practical and of not the highest
importance. It also seems like a recipe for creating inter-personal problems
that the list doesn't need.

I do like Bill's idea of a review system for packages, which could be
incorporated into my idea that follows...

What I would find useful would be some sort of tagging system for messages.
I can't count the times I've remembered seeing a message that addresses a
question I have down the road but, when Googled, I can't find it. It would
be so nice, for example, to reliably be able to find all messages related to
a certain package or package function posted within the last X days. This
could be implemented as simply as asking posters to provide keywords at the
end of a message, but it would be great if they could somehow be pulled out
of a message and stored in a DB. For instance keywords could be surrounded
by a sequence of special characters, which a parser could then extract and
store in a DB along with the message.

Of course, this would be work to set up, but how many of our "experts" who
so kindly give of their time, get exasperated when similar questions keep
popping up on the list? Also, if we had a web-accessable DB, the responses,
not the responders, could be rated as to how well a reply takes care of an
issue. Thus, over time, a sort of auto-wiki could be born. I can think of
more uses for this as well. For example a developer could quickly check to
see what usability problems or suggestions have cropped up of on individual
package.

Mark