[R] Is R portable?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 4 18:57:24 CET 2007

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, John Kane wrote:

> I simply installed R onto a USB stick, downloaded my
> normal packages to it and it works fine under Windows.

Yes, on Windows, but

1) There are other OSes,

2) This didn't just happen: it needed some careful design, including some
caching to make it run fast from a USB disk.

Unix-alike ports of R are not completely portable, as the path to R_HOME
is encapsulated in the R and Rscript front ends.  So if on, say, Linux you
want to plug in a USB disc then it will only work if you installed R to
that USB disk mounted at the same location in the file system, or are
prepared to edit the copies of the R script (which had therefore better be
mounted read-write).

The standard MacOS build has standard paths encapsulated in many places.