[R] Rating R Helpers

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Wed Dec 5 02:32:45 CET 2007

S Ellison wrote:

> Package review is a nice idea. But you raise a worrying point.
> Are any of the 'downright dangerous' packages on CRAN?
> If so, er... why?

>>I think the need for this is rather urgent, in fact.  Most packages are
>>very good, but I regret to say some are pretty inefficient and others
>>downright dangerous.

Presumably because the primary requirement for packages being
accepted on CRAN is that they pass "R CMD check".  This is a fine
minimum standard -- it means that packages will definitely install --
but there's nothing to stop anyone posting a package full of
statistical nonsense to CRAN, as far as I know.   I'm _not_ suggesting
that R-core should take up this challenge, but this is where ratings
come in.

  Ben Bolker