[R] Which Linux OS on Athlon amd64, to comfortably run R?

Kevin Middleton kmm at csusb.edu
Wed Dec 5 20:38:17 CET 2007

>> One oddity about Ubuntu is that there are no CRAN builds for 64bit.
>
> Volunteers would be welcomed with open arms.

I don't think I know enough to volunteer (but I am open to suggestion
off list), but I had no difficulty installing R from source on a 64
bit Ubuntu machine (7.10, with, I believe, 1 GB of RAM) following the
instructions in R-admin. I just kept installing necessary libraries
until ./configure completed without errors. Then make, make check,
and make install ran without a hitch.

Kevin

Kevin M. Middleton
Department of Biology
California State University San Bernardino
5500 University Parkway
San Bernardino CA 92507