[R] HTML help search in R 2.6.0 v 2.6.1

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Dec 6 02:19:47 CET 2007

Michael Bibo wrote:
> I am running R on a corporate Windows XP SP2 machine on which I do not
> have
> administrator privileges or access to most settings in Control Panel.
> R is
> installed from my limited user account.  The version of the JVM I have
>
> installed is perhaps best described as antique:
>

>> system(paste("java -version"),show.output.on.console=T)
>>
> java version "1.4.1"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1-b21)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1-b21, mixed mode)
>
> The HTML help search applet has worked for all versions of R up to and
>
> including 2.6.0, but in 2.6.1 the java applet is not initialised
> ("Applet
> SearchEngine notinited").  I have checked Appendix D of the admin &
> installation manual, and the test java applet referred to does not
> load,
> but the web page says that java 1.4.2 is required.  Other java applets
> do run
> in the browser, including R 2.6.0 HTML help search, so I presume java
> is
> enabled.
>
> Has something changed from 2.6.0 to 2.6.1 that may require JVM > 1.4.1?
>  If
> so, I can use that information to request an upgrade of my JVM.

Hmm, could be. They got rebuilt on my system and committted at some
point in the 2.6.1 run-in. and that system has 1.5.0. I did check that
things still worked, but I didn't think the version would matter. The
actual Java code is unchanged, so you could copy the .class files over
from 2.6.0 (& let us know if it works)