[R] logistic regression using "glm",which "y" is set to be "1"

Bin Yue leffgh at 163.com
Thu Dec 6 04:41:37 CET 2007

Dear Marc Schwartz:
 When I ask R2.6.0 for windows, the information it gives does not contain
much about family=binomial .
 You said that there is a detail section of "?glm". I want to read it
thoroughly. Could  you tell me where and how I can find the detail section
of "?glm".
   Thank you very much .
   Best regards,
 Bin Yue

Marc Schwartz wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 18:06 -0800, Bin Yue wrote:
>> Dear friends :
>>     using the "glm" function and setting family=binomial, I got a list of
>> coefficients.
>> The coefficients reflect the effects  of predicted variables on the
>> probability of the response to be "1".
>> My response variable consists of  "A" and "D" . I don't know which level
>> of
>> the response was set to be 1.
>> is the first element of the response set to be 1?
>>    Thank all in advance.
>>    Regards,
>>
>> -----
>> Best regards,
>> Bin Yue
>

> As per the Details section of ?glm:
>
> For binomial and quasibinomial families the response can also be
> specified as a factor (when the first level denotes failure and all
> others success) ...
>

> So use:
>
>   levels(response.variable)
>
> and that will give you the factor levels, where the first level is 0 and
> the second level is 1.
>
> If you work in a typical English based locale with default alpha based
> level ordering, it will likely be A (Alive?) is 0 and D (Dead?) is 1.
>
> HTH,
>
> Marc Schwartz

-----
Best regards,