[R] Sweave : change value in rnw file to generate multiple "single" reports ?

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Mon Dec 10 22:04:10 CET 2007

Others have given some good advice, and what works best for you will
depend on exactly what you want to do and how you think about the
problem.  Here are just a couple of other ideas to throw into the mix.

If you want to edit the .rnw file, then the tools sed, awk, or perl (or
probably several others) can all do this quite easily.  For example if
you have a file (base.rnw) that has MYDEVICE everywhere that you want to
replace with Device2 or whatever then the following command at a command
prompt will create a new file (dev2.rnw) that is a copy of base.rnw with
all occurences of MYDEVICE replaced with Device2:

 perl -pe "s/MYDEVICE/Device2/g" base.rnw > dev2.rnw

Another tool that you may want to learn is "make".  You can set up a
makefile that shows how each file relates to the next in a chain of
steps, then just type something like:

 make device2.pdf

At the command line and it will automatically make the changes to your
.rnw file and possibly to data or other files involved, then run all the
steps needed to create device2.pdf, then deletes all the intermediate
files that you don't need (device2.dvi, ...).  It also has the benefit
of being able to update all the appropriate files when you update a data
file, script file, or .rnw file.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.