[R] use ggplot in a function to which a column name is given

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 15:56:50 CET 2007

Hi Jiho,

The key to solving this problem is to use aes_string instead of aes.
Instead of the complicated munging that aes does to get the names of
the variables, aes_string works directly with strings, so that:

aes_string(x = "mpg", y = "wt") == aes(x = mpg, y = wt)

So your function would look like:

foo4 <- function(uv="u") {
  ggplot(A, aes_string(x = "x", y= "y", fill = uv)) + geom_tile()
}

Or

ggplot(A, aes(x=x, y=y)) + aes_string(fill=uv) + geom_tile()

Hope that helps!  (And I've made a note to better document aes_string
so you can discover after looking at aes)

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/