[R] Help! - boxcox transformations

Peter Dunn dunn at usq.edu.au
Fri Dec 14 03:02:59 CET 2007

> I am trying to detrend and transform variables to achieve
> normality and stationarity (for time series use, namely spectral
> analysis). I am using the boxcox transformations.
>

> As my dataset contains zeros, I found I need to add a constant to
> it in order to run "boxcox".

If your data are continuous with exact zeros, and contain a lot of
zeros, no transformation may help.  You simply map a stack of zeros
to some other value.  Box--Cox transforms are not really designed
for this.

If your data really is continuous with exact zeros, other options
exist such as hurdle models, Tweedie glms (package  tweedie) and so
forth.

P.

--
Dr Peter Dunn  |  dunn <at> usq.edu.au
Faculty of Sciences, USQ; http://www.sci.usq.edu.au/staff/dunn

This email (including any attached files) is confidentia...{{dropped:15}}