[R] connecting RMySQL to and external server

Adrian Dusa dusa.adrian at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 19:55:15 CET 2007

Dear list,

I learned how to connect R to a local MySQL server, using:
drv <- dbDriver("MySQL")
con <- dbConnect(drv, user="root", password="mypass", dbname="mydb")

Is it possible to connect R in this way to an external server (on a different
machine, with a different IP)?

I read the documentation on ?dbConnect (and everything I could find on the
internet), but I failed to find some other relevant arguments. For example,
one needs to first connect to the external machine and only after that to the
MySQL server on that machine. Is this possible from within R?

Thank you in advance,
Adrian

--
Adrian Dusa