[R] connecting RMySQL to and external server

Adrian Dusa dusa.adrian at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 18:37:41 CET 2007

On Saturday 15 December 2007, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Dec 2007, Adrian Dusa wrote:
> > Indeed, I noticed the "host" argument but the server demands an username
> > and a password for the machine first,
>
> But you said 'connect to', not 'log in to', so how were we to know that?
>
> > and only after that for the MySQL server.
> > Those were the arguments I was looking for.
> > I will study the RODBC package then, if it solves the problem.
>
> I am afraid I don't understand your setup. MySQL works by listening on
> port 3306: user accounts don't come into that.  With our bastion servers
> all such ports are blocked and can only be accessed via tunnels
> (implemented by stunnel).  I think you need to discuss this with your
> sysadmins: if it works under mysql or for ODBC (isql) it will work with
> the corresponding R packages.

Of course, most definitely. I usually log in to the external machine using
ssh, then access the MySQL server using the MySQL username and password.
I probably asked for too much from R, since logging to an external machine
needs a secure connection.
I'll talk to our sysadmin for local advice, thanks again.

Adrian

--
Adrian Dusa
Romanian Social Data Archive