[R] more structure than 'str'?

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Mon Dec 17 04:08:00 CET 2007

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007, Spencer Graves wrote:

>      How can I see more of the structure than displayed by 'str'?

str is generic.

> methods(str)
[1] str.data.frame* str.default*    str.dendrogram* str.logLik*     str.POSIXt*

    Non-visible functions are asterisked

As you see there is a data.frame method that chooses not to report on the
"row.names" attribute.

You can get the default behavior by removing the class attribute:

> str(unclass(tstDF))
List of 1
  $ a: num 1
  - attr(*, "row.names")= chr "b"