[R] bar plot colors

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Tue Dec 18 17:24:05 CET 2007

I think you're going to find that barchart with that
many values in a bar is going to be pretty well
uninterpretable.

Jim Lemon gives the desired barchart but it is very
difficult to read.

Stealing his code to create the same matrix I'd
suggest may be looking at a dotchart.  I'm not sure if
this is even close to an optimal solution but I do
think it's a bit better than a barchart approach
heights<-matrix(sample(10:70,54),ncol=3)
bar.colors<-rep(rep(2:7,each=3),3)
cost.types <- c("Direct", "Indirec", "Induced")
colnames(heights) <-  c("A", "B", "C")
rownames(heights) <- c(rep(cost.types, 6))

dotchart(heights, col=bar.colors, pch=16, cex=.6)