[R] Random forests

Naiara Pinto naiara at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Dec 18 23:27:40 CET 2007

Dear all,

I would like to use a tree regression method to analyze my dataset. I
am interested in the fact that random forests creates in-bag and
out-of-bag datasets, but I also need an estimate of support for each
split. That seems hard to do in random forests since each tree is
grown using a subset of the predictor variables.

I was thinking of setting mtry = number of predictor variables,
growing several trees, and computing the support for each node as the
number of times that a certain predictor variable was chosen for that
node. Can this be implemented using random forests?

Thanks!

Naiara.

--
Naiara Pinto